Looking forward, we will need the ongoing assistance and commitment of many “Friends” if we are to make our next trail decade as successful as the past decade. To that end, we have established four working groups or committees: a Maintenance and Amenities Committee, an Outreach Committee, a Fundraising/Endowment Committee and a Finish the Trail Committee. We would very much welcome your assistance on any of these fronts.
- Maintenance & Amenities Committee – Are you or is your organization interested in a local community service project in the great outdoors? Please consider joining our “Trail Rangers” to help maintain and beautify our trail.
- Outreach Committee – Would you be willing to help us keep everyone better informed of all that is going on with the Kennebec River Rail Trail? Would you be willing to “pass the word,” help us to build our KRRT membership or perhaps recruit additional Trail Rangers, additional race volunteers or other trail “ambassadors”?
- Fundraising/Endowment and Finish the Trail Committees – The KRRT, as originally envisioned, was to connect to both the Augusta and Gardiner waterfronts. We have not finished making our trail all that it can be, and these two committees will be working to ultimately connect the trail to both Gardiner and Augusta waterfront parks, better designate trail access through Hallowell and improve upon Farmingdale trail access. Would you be willing to join one of these two groups to help plan and/or fundraise for trail improvements and extension?
Friends of the Kennebec River Rail Trail
Volunteer of the Year
- 2016 – Brad Howard, for his superior trail maintenance in Gardiner.
- 2015 – Andy Hendrickson – for literally countless hours of effort since the start of the trail in the late 90’s
- 2014 – Curt Huber for organizing lots of trails weed whacking days.
- 2013 – Sarah Dunckel – for tons of effort making the big 1/2 marathon event every year.
- 2012 – Lesley Jones for years of effort on the Board of the Friends of the Trail
- 2011 – Jim Goulet for years of effort on the Board of the Friends of the Trail
- 2010 – Dave Schumacher (Non-Board Member) and Todd Bachelder (Board Member)
- 2009 – Karen Gross
- 2008 – Steve Naas